Business Management Studies with a Career-Focused Specialization in Human Resources
A business management certificate not only gives you a solid foundation to set you up for a career in business, it also provides a pathway to a secure and rewarding career. Starting in Fall 2023, we are pleased to offer a full-time, in-person, two-year program that will give you business management fundamentals as well as a specialization in human resource management.
As an international student, you will be able to earn a Canadian university-level certificate and grow your professional network in Toronto with this transformative program.
|Credential: Certificate in Business Management and a Certificate in Human Resources Management||Program Length: Four semesters/two years (Full-Time)|
|Fall 2023 Start Date: September 5, 2023||Early Consideration Deadline for Fall 2023: March 31, 2023*|
|Delivery Options: Classroom||Location: Toronto Metropolitan University campus|
*We will provide an admission decision before April 30, 2023, for applications submitted by the Early Consideration deadline.
The application will remain open after the Early Consideration deadline if space permits. However, study permit processing time may vary from country to country, and you may need to defer to a later term if your study permit is not approved in time.
Industry and Careers
The transferability of skills among employers and industries is a major benefit of working as an HR professional. The Certificate in Human Resources Management can lead to career paths in various fields, such as:
- Change management
- Compensation and benefits
- Diversity and inclusion
- Health and safety
- HR consulting
- Labour relations
- Learning and development
- Organization development
- Talent management
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- International students with an undergraduate degree or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution are strongly preferred. For more information, see “Academic Criteria” below.
What Will You Learn?
- The business management courses in the first year cover generalized areas of study to set you up for a career in business, including accounting, marketing, information systems, human resources, and more.
- Expanding on the foundation built in the first year, you will gain skills, knowledge, and tools related to human resources management. The Human Resources Management courses are approved for an HRPA designation.
An undergraduate degree or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution is strongly preferred. An applicant’s complete academic record, including secondary school as well as all post-secondary studies (e.g. college, university, or other post-secondary institutions) will be reviewed and considered as part of the competitive selection process.
In alignment with university English Language Requirements, international student applicants must provide evidence of achieving a minimum of a 6.5 Academic IELTS or equivalent. Exemptions may apply for students who have completed programs where the primary language of instruction is English.
These are the courses that you will be taking when you are registered in the Business Management Studies With a Career-Focused Specialization in Human Resources Management program.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|CACC 100 Introductory Financial Accounting||CECN 104 Introductory Microeconomics|
|CGMS 200 Introduction to Global Management||CLAW 122 Business Law|
|CQMS 110 Applied Mathematics for Business||CMHR 523 Human Resources Management|
|CITM 102 Business Information Systems I||CMKT 100 Principles of Marketing|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|CMHR 405 Organizational Behaviour||CMHR 711 Occupational Health and Safety|
|CMHR 522 Union Management Relations||CMHR 733 Training and Development|
|CMHR 623 Recruitment and Selection||CMHR 749 Compensation Management|
|CACC 406 Introductory Management Accounting||CMHR 849 Human Resources Planning|
In addition to the above courses, The Chang School will provide skills-based workshops in leadership and career development on topics such as teamwork, conflict resolution, intercultural competency, and resume and interview skills.
|Fee Description||Balance Due||Fee Amount|
|Non-refundable application fee||Upon application||$155|
|Tuition deposit||Upon acceptance||$2,350|
|Year 1 balance||60 days before first semester start date||$16,000|
|Year 2 balance - 1st installment||60 days before third semester start date||$9,175|
|Year 2 balance - 2nd installment||60 days before fourth semester start date||$9,175|
All amounts are expressed in Canadian dollars (CAD).
In addition to the tuition and fees above, students in this program are required to purchase UHIP health insurance, which is currently $756 per year. All international students studying in Ontario with a valid study permit are required to be enrolled in UHIP.
- Tuition payments are eligible for a full refund minus the application fee if requested five (5) business days prior to the program start date due to study permit denial.
- For all other reasons, students are eligible for a full refund minus the application fee and tuition deposit, five (5) business days prior to the program start date. After the start of the first year of the program, no refunds will be provided. It may take up to 30 days to receive your refund.
- Currency rates fluctuate regularly. The amount of your refund may differ from the original amount paid based on the rate of exchange on the date of the transaction.
- Refunds will be paid to your financial intermediary institution according to International Payments. For example, if you used WU GlobalPay for Students when you sent us the money, we will refund the money back to WU GlobalPay for Students. The financial intermediary institution may charge you a service fee to receive money.
- You will need to contact the financial intermediary institution directly once we refund the money and learn from them how soon they would be able to release the money back to you. You will receive an email to your TMU university address with the directions to initiate the refund once we receive your refund request. You need to log into the my.torontomu portal to access your university Gmail account. If you need help to reset your password, please contact Computing and Communications Services (CCS).
For further information or to request a refund please contact email@example.com.
Questions? Contact Sui Chen, Manager, International Student Recruitment, Admissions and Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org