Professional Development for CECLs
The Chang School is committed to supporting our continuing education contract lecturers (CECLs) in the development and enhancement of their teaching skills, particularly as they relate to continuous and online learning. Under the leadership of our Teaching and Learning Lead and with the input from our CECL Advisory Group and The Chang School Teaching and Learning Committee, The Chang School offers workshops and events on topics that address the needs of our teaching and learning community in addition to events offered by Toronto Metropolitan’s Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching.
Reminders about professional development opportunities will be sent via email to CECLs throughout each term.
EVENTS FOR 2022-2023
Winter 2023 New CECL Orientation
The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education New CECL Orientation provides you an opportunity to:
- Meet The Chang School staff
- Listen to peer instructors share teaching practices and experiences
- Gain familiarity with course management responsibilities
- Identify Chang School and university support services to assist in your teaching
- Be introduced to D2L and some of its key features
Date: Thursday, January 12, 2023
Time: 5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
6:00 p.m.-6:15 p.m. D2L demo (optional)
Location: via Zoom (Registered participants will receive a link closer to the date.)
Please RSVP by Wednesday, January 11, 2023. For more information, please contact Teaching Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TALO - Teaching Adult Learners Online
A 4-week cohort-based professional development course offered in the Winter, Spring, and Fall semesters and facilitated by a fellow CECL.
TALO is designed to support you in your online teaching journey as a CECL. It provides the opportunity to advance skills in assessment design, content design, and facilitation when teaching diverse adult learners online. It was freshly updated in 2021 to address needs expressed in instructor surveys and to integrate research on online teaching competencies.
TALO is a fully online learning experience. You will engage through self-paced content and activities, weekly peer sharing in the discussion board, multiple virtual drop-in sessions with the TALO facilitator for more targeted discussions, and two required assessments (an assessment plan and a facilitation action plan) which you will receive personalized feedback from the TALO facilitator.
If you participate in TALO and complete the two required assignments, you will receive a Recognition of Completion Award from The Chang School.
Dates: January 9 - February 4, 2023
Duration: 4 weeks
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
TALO consists of four modules (one per week) that you work through sequentially.
• Module 1: The Online Teaching and Learning Experience - Focuses on comparing instructor and student views of online educational experiences and exploring key dimensions of care and inclusion in online learning environments; includes a review of online teach experiences.
• Module 2: Assessment in Online Environments - Focuses on recommended practices for assessment design and building a culture of academic integrity | Submission of Required Assignment #1: Assessment Plan
• Module 3: Designing and Developing Online Learning Content for Engagement - Focuses on the components of optimal online learning, the balancing of live virtual and self-paced learning, and recommended practices for online content design
• Module 4: Facilitating an Effective Online Learning Experience - Focuses on instructor and student perspectives on instructor presence, recommended practices for online facilitation of learning, and a deep dive into discussions, group work, and feedback | Submission of Required Assignment #2: Facilitation Action Plan
Each module features active engagement through Google Jamboards, polls, discussion forum activities, independent reflection and analysis activities, collaborative activities, etc.
"This course was excellent. I learned a lot. The modules were comprehensive, engaging and full of useful resources…I highly recommend this course."
“Valuable and easily digestible course. Well worth the time.”
“Amazing, very hands-on and useful course.”
“The facilitation was wonderful! I felt engaged completing the modules, and enjoyed receiving feedback throughout the course.”
“I would say all online instructors should take it.”
“Take it - you'll be a better instructor for it.”
Do you have a professional development topic that you would like us to feature? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.