Industry and Careers
The opportunities in the graphic communications industry are diverse, in both region and role, and appeal to a wide range of interests. There are design and creative opportunities, technical machinery and computer skills-oriented jobs, as well as business and managerial roles.
This certificate can lead to career paths in various roles. Here are some examples:
- Accessibility specialist
- Graphics specialist
- Page layout artist
- Print project coordinator
- Sustainability analyst
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Individuals considering a career change into the graphic communications industry
- Individuals who are applying for Toronto Metropolitan University's Bachelor of Technology in Graphic Communications Management degree
- Individuals who are looking to deepen their graphic communications knowledge to move up in their field
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to do the following:
- Prepare layouts, files, and proofs for printed and digital output, as well as print product and post-press
- Use industry-standard hardware and software to integrate printed communication with online mediums
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of branding, display graphics, direct marketing materials, books, magazines, and consumer packaging
- Develop creative ideation strategies, working from creative briefs, design, and layout, using industry standard software (Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Through electives, gain tools and skills in typography, sustainability, accessibility, magazine publishing, or Adobe Photoshop
- 3 required courses
- 3 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) 1.67+
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- With a minimum grade of 60 percent
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience
Awards and Financial Aid
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
This certificate program is OSAP eligible. To learn more, visit the Student Financial Assistance website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I take the courses in any order I’d like?
Yes, certainly! The only exception being is if the course has a prerequisite. Take courses in whatever order is most convenient for you.
Do I need to buy special software to take the courses?
You will need access to the Adobe Creative Cloud for most of the courses, however if you do not have access to it, it can be provided to you for the duration of the semester in which you’re enrolled.