For the Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 academic terms, courses in this certificate will be offered only in an online/virtual delivery format. In-person experiential courses will be offered starting in the Spring/Summer 2023 term to complement our online options.
This certificate will help you advance or change your career while developing the technical knowledge and skills to provide hands-on innovation through robotics and embedded systems products and devices.
Industry and Careers
Photography is an important medium of communication in:
- Sales and advertising
Use this program to:
- Build your professional portfolio
- Gain the technical foundation to start your own business in photography for:
- Commercial products
- Contemporary photographic art
- Human figure
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Professional photographers looking to build their skill sets to Improve job chances in photography-related fields and upgrade their current level of photography expertise
- Individuals looking to retrain or make a career change into photography
- Individuals preparing for a photography degree program at an advanced level
You can enrol in individual courses to gain specific skills, or take the whole certificate program to develop a greater depth of photography knowledge.
What Will You Learn?
- Learn about the technical side of photography including:
- Business skills for photographers
- Digital printing workshopLarge format
- Human figure
- Photoshop techniques
- Silver-based printing
- Focus on photography production and create a number of portfolios to change or advance your career
- Explore specialties including fashion, portrait, wedding, editorial, and more
- 3 required courses
- 5 39-hour electives
- 2 19.5-hour courses are considered equivalent to 1 39-hour course
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
You must complete the certificate within five years of registering in the Certificate in Photography Studies program.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits (including English)
- With a minimum average of 60 percent
- Mature student status with professional experience
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat’s the difference between the Certificate in Photography Studies and the Certificate in Image Arts?
The Certificate in Photography Studies is a standalone program with three required courses and a choice of five electives.
The Certificate in Image Arts (with specializations in Film Studies or Photography Studies) will prepare you to apply to the undergraduate Photography – Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) second-year program (if there is space).How long does it take to complete the certificate?
Most students take two to three years to complete the certificate (three years is realistic based on current scheduling and course availability). Toronto Metropolitan requires that you complete the certificate within five years.Can I apply the credits earned in this certificate to another Toronto Metropolitan credential such as a degree?
Most courses in the Certificate in Photography Studies are both degree- and certificate-credit. This means that if you don’t yet have your degree, most of the credit received through the certificate may be transferred to the BFA program at Toronto Metropolitan, subject to standard admission criteria and procedures.How much time is involved per week?
As a general guideline, you should allow three additional hours per week, per course, outside of classroom hours. This will vary from week to week and will depend on your learning style, readings, and assignments.
Can I do extra studio, darkroom, or computer lab work on non-class nights or weekends?
Because we use facilities belonging to Toronto Metropolitan University's School of Image Arts for our courses, we must follow their policies regarding equipment/facilities use. Please note that equipment and facilities use outside of class time will not be provided. All course work requiring use of Toronto Metropolitan equipment and facilities must be done during class time only.
What types of delivery options are available for courses in this certificate?
Delivery options include fully Online courses, on-campus Classroom courses that take place in a traditional in-class setting, and Hybrid courses that combine online and in-class (or laboratory) learning. The delivery method for each course is listed under “Delivery Options” at the top of each course page. The “View Details” link within the Course Section schedule provides more details about the course delivery (for example, LAB may include studio, darkroom, or computer-based learning).
Questions? Contact Client Services.