Learn principles and concepts of digital geography and fundamental GIS skills. In the certificate program, you will focus on specific specialties and workplace applications, GIS tools, and implementation issues.
Industry and Careers
The GIS field has experienced substantial growth over the past two decades. GIS are used in government, industry, utilities, planning, municipal services, health, and retailing.
This certificate can lead to a career in various roles. Here are some examples:
- Crime analyst
- Decision support analyst/specialist
- GIS analyst/specialist/technician
- Location analyst
- Research analyst
- Spatial database technician
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Recent university graduates who are interested in starting a career in the GIS industry
- Professionals in other fields who are interested in pivoting to a career as a GIS professional
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- Understand geographic databases, visualization, digital geography, system components
- Identify GIS applications in business, municipalities, utilities, environmental management, and community and social services
- Understand and address legal and ethical issues, innovations in GIS, GIS programming, map algebra, digital image processing, web mapping, and more
- 2 required courses
- 4 electives*
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
*Electives are divided into 3 groups, allowing you to focus on an area of interest and then dive into more specialized skills. Select 1 or 2 electives from Group A and 2 or 3 electives from Group B; alternatively, as the final course for certificate completion, you may choose to take 1 elective from Group C.
An undergraduate degree or college diploma in an acceptable related field.
All applicants to the program are eligible to apply for advanced standing, with credit being granted for course work undertaken, or for professional practice, providing the course work or professional practice meets or exceeds the academic goals and content of the program courses for which credit is being sought. Advanced credit applications will be evaluated by the academic coordinator and the program director, and are subject to normal Ryerson admission policies and procedures. Students may be required to take a challenge examination in order to ascertain eligibility for advanced standing. Students will be eligible for a maximum of three course credits toward the certificate.
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Client Services.