Industry and Careers
According to Global Affairs Canada, the robotics ecosystem in Canada is far-reaching and has applications in the following industries:
- Defense and security
This certificate can lead to career paths in roles such as:
- Automation engineer
- Communications and networking professional
- Control systems technologist
- C programming software specialist
- Embedded systems software device development professional
- Human-computer interaction specialist
- Machine-human interaction specialist
- Robotics engineers
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This certificate is intended for professionals with experience with computer programming – in any language – and/or who have hands-on technical industry experience.
Individuals who are seeking to enter the following professional fields:
- Consumer electronics
- Green technology products
- Manufacturing automated machinery
- Medical Devices
- Telecommunications products
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will able to:
- Build mobile robotic devices and program embedded systems for product and automated device development
- Use your newly gained skills in microprocessor-based control systems, systems-on-chip (SoC) design, and device software development
- Program mobile robotic devices
- Implement systems design in mobile robots and robotic devices
Tools in use include the following:
- C, C++, or Python
- Customized robotics kits
- 6 required courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- Mature student status with evidence of relevant college or university level coursework, or equivalent
- Mature student status relevant industrial or professional experience in business
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the prerequisite requirements to register in this certificate and its courses?
This is an open admissions program, which means you can enroll in courses right away. Familiarity with C, C++, or Python programming languages is recommended. No other previous background is required.
How much does the program cost?
Registration for the certificate program is free. The cost of each course is calculated individually, and this program has six required courses. Check the course pages for specific details on fees.
Do course fees change if you are an international student?
Yes, if the course is degree-credit. International students pay three (3) times the regular student tuition fee for degree-credit courses.
How long does it take to complete the certificate?
Many of our students graduate within one calendar year (or fewer than eight months) by completing all course requirements in two to three terms. You may choose how quickly you want to complete all the required courses.
Can I take more than one course per term and still hold my full-time job?
It is possible to take one to three courses per term and still hold your full-time job. However, we recommend you organize your schedule to suit your needs.
Can I substitute a course from another certificate and have it apply to my certificate requirements?
No. This certificate program does not allow course substitutions or transfers.
What prerequisites or professional experiences are recommended for this certificate?
Contact Anne-Marie Brinsmead, Program Director, for further clarification about certificate program requirements.
Are any courses available for substitution or transfer credit?
No. All courses in this certificate must be taken at The Chang School and are not eligible for course substitution or transfer credit application.
Which textbooks will I have to purchase for this certificate?
Textbook requirements vary by year. You will receive your textbook information on the Course Outline in the first week of class. Please do not preemptively buy any textbooks.
Questions? Contact Client Services.