Industry and Careers
Computer coders with highly developed skills are in demand for digital products and services deployment and production, and this certificate can help graduates find work in a range of companies, firms, and industries:
- Consulting firms
- Energy corporations
- Financial and insurance institutions
- Healthcare industries
- Professional and scientific institutions
- Software companies
- Technology companies
- Telecommunications companies
This certificate can lead to career paths in various roles. Here are some examples:
- Computer programmer
- Database manager
- Network systems manager
- Software developer
- Software engineer
- Specialist in artificial intelligence (AI)
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Individuals from a non-STEM background who wish to work as coders and gain experience in hands-on coding, software engineering, database technology, web and mobile development, and related user-support positions
- IT professionals who are interested in upskilling in the most in-demand technical coding skills for career advancement
What Will You Learn?
This certificate will equip you with well-rounded technical skills. After completing this certificate, you will be able to do the following:
- Code for and develop digital products and services
- Perform statistical and data analysis on relational databases
- Execute solutions to problems in enterprise network infrastructures, operating systems, and data communications
- Explore file management techniques involving the fundamentals of database organization, design, and management
- Use computer applications to design outdoor spaces
- Analyze networks, operating systems, and data communications
- Implement AI Frameworks and human-computer interaction systems
- Utilize object-oriented programming languages
- Plan and manage computer programming projects using project management tools
You’ll learn how to code in these tools:
- GIS Software
- Object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Artificial intelligence frameworks
- MS Project
- 3D Studio Max
- 4 required courses
- 2 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With six Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status with permission of the academic coordinator
Awards and Financial Aid
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
This certificate program is OSAP eligible. To learn more, visit the Student Financial Assistance website.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are the courses offered?
Courses are offered year-round, in the Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer terms. The certificate requires you to complete six courses in total.
Can I choose my electives from more than one stream?
Yes. Choose two electives that meet your goals from any of the eight elective streams.
Does the certificate have an Artificial Intelligence (AI) elective stream?
Yes. You can choose to take two electives in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) stream.
Can I use this certificate to ladder to the Toronto Metropolitan University's Part-time degree in Computer Science?
Yes. However, you must still follow normal application procedures for the degree program. For more information, please visit the Computer Science program page.
Questions? Contact Client Services.