Upon completion of all four certificates, you will be able to apply for the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP). After completing the PEP, you will be able to write the three-day Common Final Examination (CFE) exam.
The certificate series is fully online, so you can fit learning into your busy schedule. As a Chang School learner, you will have access to support from advisors, staff, instructors, and classmates to help you move towards your goal and build out your professional network.
Industry and Careers
This certificate can lead to career paths in roles such as:
- Accounting analyst
- Accounting assistant
- Accounting clerk
- Accounting receivable or payable clerk
- Accounting technician
- Budget analyst
- Business or credit analyst
- Fund accountant
- Internal or external auditor
- Junior accounting analyst
- Payroll officer
- Property accountant
- Staff accountant
- Tax specialist
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- College or university graduates of non-accounting fields who want to pursue the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- Newcomers to Canada who are seeking a Canadian university credential in accounting and finance to build their resume and help secure a job
- Business owners or managers who want to enhance their accounting acumen
- Working professionals with the goal of pivoting their career into accounting or finance
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will have:
- Technical and enabling competencies required by CPAs, such as financial reporting, audit and assurance, taxation, management, and governance and data analytics and information systems
- Skills necessary to evaluate accounting and reporting methods, examine audit processes
- A detailed overview of the federal income tax laws concerning income and taxes payable of individuals, corporations, and trusts, as well as practical tax planning considerations
- An understanding of tax compliance obligations
- Developed the analytical skills necessary to evaluate accounting and reporting methods
- 6 courses accredited by the CPA and count towards the association’s PEP prerequisite
- A comprehensive understanding financial information and accounting practices
- The ability to progress/apply to intermediate or more senior level employment opportunities that require a diploma or certificate in accounting from a post-secondary institution
- The ability to expand accounting applications to a wide variety of business and financial settings
- The ability to apply tax concepts to routine situations
- 6 required courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) 1.67+
Completion of Levels 1-3 in the Accounting Certificate Series.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status
If you are an undergraduate student, you should be aware of possible certificate restrictions. Check Curriculum Advising for complete details.
Professional Designations and Accreditation
The courses in the Certificate in Advanced Accounting qualify as preparatory courses for the CPA PEP program. Review the list of all CPA preparatory courses offered through The Chang School.
Awards and Financial Aid