Industry and Careers
- Lighting agent/representative
- Lighting designer
- Manufacturer agent
Who Should Take This Certificate?
If you want to enhance your knowledge and skills in the art and science of lighting design, this certificate is designed for you. Our students come from a wide range of backgrounds, including:
- Architecture or landscape architecture
- Interior design
- Theatre design and production
- Radio and television arts
What Will You Learn?
Through your courses – including studio classes – you will investigate and develop your understanding of these key topics:
- Light sources and how they relate to the lighting design process
- Photometric calculations to analyze design applications
- Energy efficiency and management techniques
- Architectural daylight approaches
- Social and environmental aspects of lighting
- 5 required courses
- 1 elective
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- An undergraduate degree
- Mature student status with related professional experience and education
Awards and Financial Aid
Our partner is the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES), Toronto Section.
The Toronto Section of the IES has been instrumental in supporting the Lighting Design program at Toronto Metropolitan University and has raised significant funds for the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Award (offered jointly with founding scholarship partners Canlyte and Osram Sylvania). This award is available to students registered in the Certificate in Lighting Design.