Industry and Careers
This certificate can lead to career paths in roles such as:
- Compliance officer
- Disability management professional
- OHS director
- OHS manager
- OHS officer
- Risk manager
- Vice president, health and safety
According to the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP), becoming a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) can help you:
- increase your earning potential
- enhance your employability and mobility
- enhance your professional credibility
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This program is for individuals who have completed the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and/or the Certificate in Advanced Safety Management and want to take their OHS career to the next level.
If your goal is to work as a leader in the OHS field, or if you’re already working in a leadership position and want to formalize your education and build on your skills, this certificate is for you.
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- lead best practice in OHS planning and management
- address integrated disability management
- navigate government legislation and regulations
- implement fundamentals of project management
- apply OHS business perspectives
- understand ethical leadership
- interpret OHS return on investment, cost, and savings
Courses are drawn from Toronto Metropolitan University’s Bachelor of Applied Science in Occupational and Public Health (BASc). Courses completed as part of this certificate may be recognized towards the completion of the BASc. Offered through the School of Occupational and Public Health, the BASc is the only degree-level program of its kind in Canada.
- 3 required courses
- 1 elective
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
- Mature student status and at least three years of professional experience in occupational health and safety
If you wish to apply to register for the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership, contact the Program Coordinator, Rose Reid (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Professional Designations and Accreditation
By completing this program after the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and the Certificate in Advanced Safety Management, you will meet the educational requirements to write the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) designation exam.
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do graduates of the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership find jobs?
OHS professionals are in high demand across many industries. You might land a job in a hospital, a steel mill, a university, an airport, local government, or any other workplace that values workers’ health and safety.
Are courses in the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership offered online?
Yes. All courses in the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership are offered online.
Can I get Transfer Credits for courses I’ve taken at other institutions?
You can apply for a Transfer Credit if you have taken the same course at another post-secondary institution.
Note: there’s no guarantee your application for Transfer Credits will be accepted.