Industry and Careers
This certificate can lead to career paths in the following areas:
- Community-based organizations that have administrative interactions with the federal, provincial, or municipal governments.
- International governmental organizations
- Interest/pressure groups
- Non-governmental organizations
- Policy unit of a federal, provincial, or municipal government department
- Political aide to an elected official
- Private sector companies, particularly ones that have extensive interactions with domestic or foreign governments, or are engaged in public research
- Voluntary or nonprofit sector organizations
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Students who intend to pursue Toronto Metropolitan’s BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance
- Working public sector professionals looking to gain career advancement
- Newly graduated high school students who are interested in seeking a career in the public service
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- Analyze the framework of public policy
- Explore the relationship between government and labour, the ideological basis for administrative institutions, and financial management
- Utilize your newly developed administrative and communication skills
- 1 from Core Required Courses
- 3 courses from Elective Core Courses (not previously taken in the Certificate in Level 1 Public Administration and Governance)
- 1 Lower-Level Liberal Studies Elective from Table A
- 1 Core Electives Economics Course
- 2 Open Elective courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Note: If you wish to obtain your Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance or the Level 2 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance, you must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for admission to the Public Administration and Governance BA (Honours) program. Do not use the standard continuing education certificate application. Upon completing this certificate and the Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance, you may continue your studies to earn a BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance from Toronto Metropolitan University.