If you have already completed the Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance, this Level 2 certificate will provide you with:
- An introduction to public policy.
- A sharpened understanding of the organization and operation of the public sector.
- Skills for career advancement within the public sector or organizations that deal with it.
- An expanded awareness of the political forces that shape public administration and policy.
Gain the specialized knowledge and skills you need to advance your career in the public sector.
This program is designed for:
- those preparing for jobs or career advancement in:
- federal, provincial, or municipal government
- social service agencies
- public or non-profit organizations
- administrative officers
- front-line service providers
- policy analysts
By completing this program, you will fulfil Level 2 of Toronto Metropolitan’s BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance.
What Will You Learn?
- Learn to analyze the framework of public policy.
- Explore the relationship between government and labour, the ideological basis for administrative institutions, and financial management.
- Continue to develop your administrative and communication skills by choosing professionally-related courses that match your goals.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This certificate fulfils Level 2 of Toronto Metropolitan’s BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance. It is for students who have completed the Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance and intend to pursue the degree program.
You may be interested if you are:
- A working public sector employee.
- A student aspiring to a career in the public service.
- Interested in gaining knowledge about public administration and public policy in Canada.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Many of our instructors are faculty members in Toronto Metropolitan’s Department of Politics & Public Administration.
Visit the Department of Politics & Public Administration Personnel website to read more about their expertise.
Industry and Careers
By completing Toronto Metropolitan’s BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance, you will be ready for promotion within your organization, or to take on a wide range of positions in the public sector or non-profit sector.
Here are just a few possible career categories:
- A policy unit of a federal, provincial, or municipal government department.
- The decision-making structure of a voluntary or nonprofit sector organization.
- A private sector company, particularly one that has extensive interactions with domestic or foreign governments, or is engaged in public research.
- International governmental organizations (like the UN, OECD, World Bank).
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- A political aide to an elected official.
- Private companies engaged in public research.
- Interest/pressure groups.
- Community-based organizations that have administrative interactions with the federal, provincial, or municipal governments.
Many graduates of the degree program go on to apply to law school or other graduate-level studies.
“Having worked in the public sector for over a decade, I had the desire to transition into a management capacity involving public finance and data-driven decision making. I researched a variety of Toronto-based programs and determined that Toronto Metropolitan University's Chang School offered the greatest flexibility to further my formal education while maintaining full-time employment. I enrolled in online and in-class courses and found that the instructors got to know me on a personal level, and continued regular communication throughout the course. My experience at The Chang School allowed me to complete my Bachelor of Arts at Toronto Metropolitan, a Master of Public Administration at the University of Western Ontario, and eventually led me to pursue a PhD at Toronto Metropolitan University.”
Bachelor of Arts, Toronto Metropolitan University
Masters of Public Administration, University of Western Ontario
PhD, Toronto Metropolitan University (candidate)
- 1 required course
- 3 courses from Required Group 1 (not previously taken in the Certificate in Level 1 Public Administration and Governance)
- 1 lower-level Liberal Studies Elective from Table A
- 1 Professionally-Related Elective
- 2 Professionally-Related Elective from Table I
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Note: If you wish to obtain your Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance or the Level 2 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance, you must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for admission to the Public Administration and Governance BA (Honours) program. Do not use the standard continuing education certificate application. Upon completing this certificate and the Level 1 Certificate in Public Administration and Governance, you may continue your studies to earn a BA (Honours) in Public Administration and Governance from Toronto Metropolitan University.
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Viola Ing, Undergraduate Program Administrator, Department of Politics and Public Administration, Toronto Metropolitan University.