Industry and Careers
This certificate can help you build the skills needed to become employed in the following areas:
- Trend forecasting
- Fashion buying
- Events management
- Fashion journalism/Magazine contributor
- Brand coordination/management
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Those working in retail looking for career advancement in the fashion industry.
- People who have a passion for fashion and want to complement their existing education or professional experience in the following areas:
- Marketing/event planning
- Business management/entrepreneurship
- Design management
- Research and analytics
- Public relations
- Journalism/professional communication
- User experience (UX) or user interface (UI)
- Those interested in Toronto Metropolitan University’s School of Fashion undergraduate program, but unsure if they want to apply for the full program
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to do the following:
- Understand the fashion landscape and business of fashion as it aligns with core consumer/corporate values, including sustainability, equality, diversity, gender fluidity, radical inclusion, and community.
- Design and implement meaningful digital fashion experiences and in-person events that drive customer engagement and enhance brand loyalty.
- Know how to market your personal brand to win - and hold - focus in an oversaturated marketplace.
- Analyze data sets to help inform marketing and sales strategies as they apply to supply chain, consumer analytics, and trend forecasting.
- Develop a portfolio that showcases an understanding of fashion styling, including product sourcing, location shooting, organizing styling resources and more. Infographic Transcript
Still shopping around? Here’s a list of comparative fashion programs for your one-stop shop:
|School Name||Program Name||Duration||Price||Format||Affiliation|
|The Chang School||Certificate in Fashion Innovation - the only fashion program in Canada focused on decolonization and sustainability||6 courses in total (3 terms), but you have the flexibility to take it at your own pace and in your preferred sequence. You have up to four years to complete the certificate so you can work while you learn. There is also a summer-intensive option available.||$650.65 per course (~$3900 total). No commitment to pay all at once–just pay for the courses you enrol in.||Online. Great if you prefer flexibility, the ability/freedom to work at your own pace, and receiving feedback on your own time.||Toronto Metropolitan’s School of Fashion, one of the top fashion schools in the world|
|Seneca College||Fashion Studies (Certificate)||8 months (2 terms)||~$4,500 for full program||Hybrid (in-class and online)||
|Humber College||Fashion Management (Graduate Certificate)||3 terms||~$5,500 for full program||Online||Association of Fashion Business Students|
|George Brown College||Fashion TECH (Certificate)||3 terms||Tuition funded based on eligibility||In-class (when available)||n/a|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University||Fashion Design & Technology (Diploma)||4 terms||Tuition ~$9,938 for 60 credits to earn a diploma||In-class (closed for Fall 2021)||n/a|
- 6 required courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
To graduate, you must successfully complete, within your official time span, the requirements from the year you registered in the program. For more information, refer to Time Span in our Glossary of Terms. If certificate requirements change and courses are no longer available, you may request Course Substitutions/Directives. You must apply to graduate on my.ryerson (RAMSS) within the appropriate application deadlines (refer to Important Dates). Visit Graduation for details.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits (including English)
- Continuous learners with relevant professional experience
Awards and Bursaries
We’re thankful to our partners whose support and expertise helped guide the development of this certificate program.
- The Certificate in Fashion Innovation was built in collaboration with The School of Fashion, one of the top fashion schools in the world.
Question? Contact Client Services.