Course DescriptionThis is an introductory course, prerequisite to further studies in law. The course begins with a discussion of the nature and sources of law and an examination of the court system in Canada, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and a survey of the more important aspects of the law of torts. The course then concentrates on the legal requirements for the formation of a valid contract. Other major contract law topics include interpretation, privity, discharge, breach, and special types of contracts. Selected cases will be examined.
Sample Course OutlineDistance Course Outline (subject to change)
This course is online and asynchronous except for its final exam, which is held in person (beginning Fall 2022). This means that you typically will not have to be online at specific times. You will engage in course-related activities through online tools such as announcements, discussions, and email. Your course learning will be based on weekly module content and activities that you can work through independently. Note: There will be deadlines for assignment submissions, and you may be expected to participate in discussion board interactions with your peers on a regular basis.
Your instructor may also include occasional scheduled sessions for Q&As and other discussion activities using web conferencing tools such as Zoom and Google Meet. Details will be included in your course outline, which will be available on the first day of classes.
On-campus exam requirement: Beginning Fall 2022, your final exam will be written in person at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus. If you live more than 100 km from the TMU campus, you may arrange to write your exam off campus using an approved off-campus invigilation service. Details on how to arrange off-campus invigilation will be provided prior to the first day of class. Details on the date of your exam can be found on the Exams for Online Courses webpage.
- Accounting – Finance : Electives (select 2)
- Advanced International Trade Management : Electives (select 2)
- Business Management : Required Courses
- Ethics : Electives – Group B (select 3 not previously taken in Electives – Group A)
- Foundations for Accounting : Required Courses
- Internationally Trained Health Professionals (ITHP) bridging program (formerly ITMD - Internationally Trained Medical Doctors program) : Health Administration
- Privacy, Access, and Information Management : Electives (select 2)