If you're looking for opportunities to connect with industry professionals and network in an online world, then this certificate can help you get your foot in the door.
This certificate is mostly asynchronous, so you can go at your own pace and continue to work while you learn. There are also synchronous options available so you can connect one-on-one with an instructor and fellow learners.
Industry and Careers
This certificate can help you build skills that may help you move into job roles related to:
- Community relations
- Content creation
- Crisis management
- Financial communications
- Media relations
- Reputation management
- Social media
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Newly graduated diploma and degree individuals who are working a full or part-time job and need flexible learning to fit into their schedule
- Recent graduates of a diploma and/or degree program who need to kick start their career in public relations
- Individuals working in the PR/communications industry looking to solidify their place in a PR/communications role or are looking for a promotion
- Individuals who are mid-career and are looking to change their career completely and reposition themselves in a PR/communications role
What Will You Learn?
Our fully online Certificate in Public Relations will help you hone your practical, analytical, and theoretical skills to prepare you for a career in public relations.
The Certificate in Public Relations can also help you prepare to write the Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) and International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) accreditation examinations (eligible after five years of professional experience).
Through a wide range of courses offered online, you will gain experience and instruction in how to:
- apply strategic PR management concepts and principles in a number of organizational settings
- establish and build relationships with senior management and other program sponsors
- research and evaluate PR programs
- critically analyze PR issues
- design, implement, and manage internal and external PR programs
- write for a wide range of internal and external audiences
- make effective public and business presentations
- manage an organization’s relations with a wide variety of stakeholder groups
- Seven required courses
- Two 19.5-hour electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- An undergraduate degree
- A 3-year community college diploma
- Mature student status with a high school diploma and 4 years of progressive work experience in public relations practice, or in a business, professional, or technical field
Professional Development Award: The Course Series in Social Media Practices and Reputation Management requires the completion of CDPR 100, CDPR 108, and CDPR 110.