Take healthcare into the future with a Health Informatics certificate
Looking to get into the rapidly expanding health informatics industry? The Certificate in Health Informatics offered by The Chang School can be completed online (depending on which electives you pick) – and in just a few terms – so you can manage your health informatics courses on your own schedule. We provide learners with a rich education in both health informatics basics and more specialized skills. First, you’ll master the healthcare informatics fundamentals, including healthcare interoperability, healthcare systems, and the management cycle. Then you can delve into specialties like organizational behaviour, leadership, and big data.
We have a wide variety of health informatics courses so you can follow your passion, whether it’s organizational behaviour, data analytics, project management, human-computer interfaces in healthcare, health information access and privacy, or information systems security. Our health informatics program provides simulation exercises and case studies to help learners gain as much real-world experience as possible before you graduate.
The Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems – Canada (CPHIMS-CA) credential signifies that a health informatics professional has the skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform safely and effectively in a broad range of practice settings. Gaining this certification after completing your certificate can help you get those high-paying IT roles in the booming healthcare sector.
Health informatics professionals are highly in-demand – start your career path to become one now.
Who should take this Health Informatics certificate?
- You’re a healthcare professional who wishes to formalize and expand your knowledge of industry-specific uses of information technology in order to progress in your career
- You’re a healthcare professional who wants academic training to meet the eligibility requirements to sit for the CPHIMS-CA Certification
- You’re an IT professional who’s interested in applying your technical skills within the health sector
- You’re an internationally educated professional with a background in IT or the health sector who wants to better understand Canadian healthcare and health information management, and health informatics in Canada
What will you learn while taking the Health Informatics certificate?
You’ll learn how to:
- Understand the role of a healthcare manager, including planning, human resource management, budgeting, service delivery, and change management
- Understand how information technology is applied in healthcare services, including electronic health records (EHR), eHealth, healthcare software applications, and healthcare data
- Apply fundamentals of human interaction with computers including mental models, multimedia user interface, network-based interactions, and visual design principles
- Demonstrate familiarity with healthcare coding terminologies, interoperability between diverse and distributed systems, and electronic data interchange standards
- Compare and contrast the various health systems operating within Canada and models for healthcare funding and planning
- Understand ethical issues as related to health information management
- Evaluate aspects of care provision, including provider-client relationships and integrated client-centred care
This certificate can prepare you for jobs like:
- Analytics manager
- Clinical informatics analyst
- Clinical informatics specialist
- Decision support analyst
- Health data analyst
- Health informatics analyst
- Medical informatics analyst
- Quality improvement specialist
- 4 required courses*
- 3 electives*
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
**If you do not have a background in health information, you should complete CHIM 303. You should select CMHR 405 if you wish to pursue CMHR 650, as CHSM 437 does not provide a prerequisite for CMHR 650.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience in business
- With minimum of 1 year's related professional experience in the health or information technology sectors
You must complete a pre-approval application and receive an approval code before registering in your certificate (it’s best to have your registration in place before you enrol in for your first course).
Already a TMU student or have a Google email account? Complete our Certificate Approval Code Request form and attach your required documentation.
Not yet a TMU student or don’t have a Google email account? Complete our Certificate Approval Code Request (Non-Google Users) form and submit your required documentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I take a Health Informatics course before I register in the Health Informatics program?
Yes. If you’re unsure about committing to the full Health Informatics program, we recommend that you start with the three-course Course Series in Health Informatics This doesn’t require an application. If you then decide to complete the certificate, submit the pre-approval form. Once accepted, you may enrol in the certificate and transfer in these three courses.
What health informatics electives should I take?
Choose the three electives that will best prepare you for success in the interdisciplinary field of health informatics. Your elective courses should complement your existing knowledge and skill set while also supporting your future career goals.
For personalized recommendations about the health informatics courses that may best complement your competencies, contact Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some sample elective recommendations, based on your potential needs and goals:
- You’re a healthcare professional who wants to better understand IT infrastructure, systems analysis and design: try CITM 207, CITM 301, and CITM 820
- You’re an IT professional who wants a better understanding of healthcare informatics and managing health information: try CHIM 301 and CHSM 306
- You’re not familiar with current International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) standard classification systems and need practical ICD coding skills: try CHIM 303
- You’d benefit from specialized knowledge in the tools and techniques of project management: try CTEC 210
- You’re interested in the human-resources management aspects of health organizations: try CHSM 437, CMHR 405, CMHR 640, and CMHR 650
- You’re interested in health record information access and privacy issues: try CLAW 401 and CLAW 402
- You want a better understanding of the political, economic and social complexities of healthcare systems and current issues in Canadian health information management: try CHIM 404
How long will it take to complete the Health Informatics certificate?
Most students complete the Health Informatics certificate in three years. Toronto Metropolitan University requires that you complete the seven-course certificate within five years of your admission to the program.
If you’re able to take two courses per term, you can complete the Health Informatics certificate within two years.
Note: If you registered prior to Fall 2020, you’re required to complete the curriculum as outlined at Archived Calendars. If you registered prior to Fall 2020 and haven’t completed 50% of the certificate, contact email@example.com. You’ll need to review your options available for certificate completion.
Contact Client Services firstname.lastname@example.org